Sunday, November 29, 2009

Luminaire





Simplistic.
Strips of cream colored bond paper, glue, and textured white translucent paper. The few materials used to create my luminaire, makes it simply. However simplicity is not always simple.
Constructing each bow took both time and patience. The construction of the bows are formed by strips of bond paper, sized four or five different lengths, and made to form a ring. Layering four or five different size paper rings one inside of another, formed a bow when pinched together. The circular shape of my luminaire is based around the design of the bows fitting together. Creating a steady circular structure was hard to maintain with paper. The first design of my luminaire did not create the field of light I was imagining. Experimenting with different way to diffuse light, I discovered translucent paper. Lining sections inside my luminaire, the harsh lighting was diffused, creating a softer field of light. Along with creating a soft glow, the negative spaces between the bows in my luminaire created patterns when reflected on a surface.


No comments:

Post a Comment