Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Intersection


Intersection
Design a container for a special object using paper, fabric, and thread of your choice.
It is something I wear close to my heart everyday. It brings me a feeling of comfort. The engagement ring given to my mother from my father, was my special object. The idea of the project was to design a container. Being that my special object is both small and delicate, I wanted to relate the design of the container to compliment the ring's features. The idea of origami came to mind as I began to sketch out my ideas. Origami paper is dainty, similar to the diamond ring, linking them both together. As I researched various origami boxes, I saw the simple box. The simplicity in the box would highlight the beautiful vintage diamond ring. The container was meant to display the ring, attract the viewers to it's natural beauty. The colors black and red, were chosen to accentuate the simple diamond joined by a gold band. As the assignment progressed, so did my skill level in origami. My second design for the container was based off of a triangular origami box. I discovered that combining four triangles, instead of three, the shaped formed a diamond. The diamond shape easily related to the diamond in the in ring. The color scheme also changed. From a simple black box, to a golden diamond box. The gold origami added interest to the gold band of the ring. The fabric of a simple red bandana, remained the same, cradling the engagement ring. Although both the shape and colors changed, the design of delicateness remained untouched.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget to post your process sketches. Seeing them will help us grade your work.

    Kuniko

    ReplyDelete