Thursday, September 3, 2009

Objective
Find two natural artifacts and join them together using a linear material as a binding agent.
As I walked the pathway back to my dormitory, I envisioned all the possible ideas each time I came across a tree, a pebble, or a flower. Surrounded by nature, a small piece of bark caught my eye. The jagged and harsh texture of the bark was different from the smooth texture of the leaves surrounding it. The contrast between both textures, rough and smooth, expanded my imagination to an idea. With the idea of contrasting textures, a delicate purple flower was the perfect fit. However, the obstacle was configuring how I would bond each natural artifact together only using a linear material. At first I used a thick ivory rope to bond each piece together. Both the thickness and color of the rope took away from the beauty of the bark and flower. Brown thread was my final decision for the bonding agent. The brown thread blended into the natural colors found in the bark. Aside from the bonding agent, the ridges found in the bark aided to the setting of the flower. The thin stem fit perfectly into the ridges of the bark. Along with both the bark and the flower fitting together to perfectly, the colors in each artifact blended together. The final product came out better than I first envisioned to be. Each natural artifact fit together as if it was a puzzle, and the bonding agent did not distract from the natural beauty of the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment